using CD/DVD as media

Mani A a.mani.cms at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 02:16:29 UTC 2009

David <dgboles at comcast.net> wrote:

> To have the DVD *always* as a source to check for packages is a pain in
> the neck IMO.
>
> Mandriva does that. The install DVD is a default source. *Every time*
> that you try to *install*, or *update*, you have to find and insert the
> DVD for it to check it for the disired package(s) *and* their
> dependencies as well as the online repos.
>
> Everyone that I know that uses Mandriva *disables* that 'feature' as one
> of the very first things that they do.

I think this behaviour should be changed in Fedora. At least for the
first update, the media should be used by Yum (and others).

It will also be very useful for people doing upgrades from earlier
versions of Fedora with a DVD (instead of yum). Yum went for a 2.2GB+
update after a F10 --> F11 upgrade with a DVD in one desktop system
and many of the packages were on the DVD.

Best

A. Mani

--
A. Mani