Changing the default 32-bit x86 arch for Fedora 12 (#2)

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Jun 18 03:47:16 UTC 2009

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Chris Adams (cmadams at hiwaay.net) said:
>>> - We don't really support i586 in any meaningful matter
>> What does this mean?  Does Fedora not run on i586?  Why was there a
>> mass-rebuild for i586 if it doesn't work?
>
> I know of *no one* in the community who tests on i586 to ensure that it
> works.
Well, I used to do, ... but you are right insofar, as that Fedora has
grown too fat and bloated to be of much actual use on i586's, anymore.

> At a certain level, I suspect many, if not all, bugs of a "Fedora does
> not install/takes three days to do anything/does not run well" on a i586-class
> box are going to be CLOSED/WONTFIX-UNLESS-YOU-ARE-SENDING-A-PATCH, at
> best.
That's not the point of keeping i586's around

On the user side, it's primarily "reusing recycled HW" without having to
quit the distro you are using elsewhere.

On the developers' side it's "using i586s as testing platforms" to e.g.
detect pieces of code which lack generality/suffer from portability
issues and inefficiency.

(Now combine this with my remark on "Fedora is fat" ... )

> *That's* what I mean by "we don't really support i586 in any meaningful
> manner".
You seem to be speaking in terms of "You == RH".

Ralf