Why do we need FC version attached to the package name?

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Mon Jun 22 16:32:19 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 09:31:32AM +0200, Jesse Keating wrote:

> On Jun 22, 2009, at 9:26, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On 06/22/2009 12:54 PM, Jesse Keating wrote:
>>

>>> Not possible while we allow people to keep making updates to the
>>> older
>>> releases.  Those updates quickly become version ( not just release
>>> even
>>> ) higher than the static copies on the release medium and repos.
>>
>> Is there any proposed solution to this problem? We can't just continue
>> to break upgrade paths and call it the way things are done.
>>
>> Rahul
>>

> If you have any ideas I'd like to hear them. A super epoch has already
> been suggested but that just masks the problem and may cause unwanted
> downgrades. Any solution either involves severly limiting what kind of
> updates can be done or requiring network access during upgrades.

How about something in bodhi that checks you aren't introducing this
problem, forcing you to push a higher NVR package to $nextrelease first
before you can push it to updates?

Considering these updates are supposed to be for our 'stable' release,
having them be in $nextrelease first seems like a good idea anyway.

	Dave