Pulseaudio question...

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Jun 23 19:53:50 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 17:49 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Nathanael D. Noblet wrote:
> > I've opened a movie in totem, the main volume level is somewhere in the
> > range of 70%, however totem is at about 4%. The movie is too quiet so
> > I've upped the volume in totem to 19%. The main volume is now 84%. All
> > fine and good. However if I modify the main volume at all (up or down),
> > the main volume resets to whatever the main volume was before I changed
> > totem's volume. If I in this case bring the main volume up to 84% again,
> > totem is at the 19% I set it to...
> >
> > Is this expected behaviour?
>
> I think this is the "flat volumes" "feature".
>
> It can be disabled by setting:
> flat-volumes = no
> in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf or ~/.pulse/daemon.conf .

It may be related, but it's not the way that's _supposed_ to work, AIUI.
When working correctly, with flat volumes, the two volumes should be the
same, I believe - if you set totem to 70%, the 'main' volume slider in
g-v-c or pavucontrol should also be at 70%. so it sounds like it may be
some bug within the flat volume implementation.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey