rpm AutoRequires/AutoProvides and dsos not in linker path, do we care ?

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jun 24 00:30:06 UTC 2009

Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-06-17 at 10:06 -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 02:57:53PM +0100, Caolán McNamara wrote:
>>> b.2) extend the autorequires/autoprovides in some (handwaves) way to
>>> better indicate the desired match
>> I like this idea better.  AutoReq/Prov should only search system-wide
>> deafult search paths for .so's, perl modules, and any other such
>> objects that it supports.
>
> "system-wide" includes paths mentioned in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*, which are
> files provided by other packages.  Suddenly your search scope is
> unbounded again.

Thought: Define "system library directories" to a sane default set.
Start with this.

For each package, when doing autoprovides calculation, recurse down the
tree of rpms needed by this package. For any that change
/etc/ld.so.conf.d, add the appropriate directory to the set of "system
library directories". Now see if the rpm installs any libraries into
those locations. If so, those are autoprovides.

Sound sane?

--
Matthew
XFS is not something I look into the innards of, as I don't have enough