rpm package with many files inside

Howard Wilkinson howard at cohtech.com
Wed Jun 24 11:32:34 UTC 2009

Florian,

While this may not be a possibility for you, in the bad old days we used
to use archive (aka libraries or '.a') files to get round this and to
'save' disk and inode usage. The software was then modified to use
library extraction to get the files it needed. I know this is not
in-line with the packaging approach that is used today, especially
requiring functionality changes. But it is a useful trick to try. What
we used to do (this is 1980's remember) is set up 'directories' and map
the content of each directory onto an archive file.

Anyway that's my 2 'cents' worth, hope it is not just noise

Regards, Howard.