[JANITOR] Duplicate directory ownership cleanups

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Fri Jun 26 11:26:10 UTC 2009

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 06:30:01 -0400, Stephen wrote:
>
>> I think he's just talking about clearing up unnecessary duplication
>> (like with his php-pear example) that confuses the yum dependency checker.
>
> Hmmm? Tom's announcement doesn't mention any such confusion.
>
> Are there really dependencies on directories being used which cause the
> depsolver to pull in a wrong package? Dependencies on paths outside /etc
> and *bin* ought to be the exception, not the rule. In particular, since
> they require the optional filelists metadata to be downloaded and parsed.
>
> I've recently cleaned up some wrong ownership of %_libdir/pkgconfig/, but
> in general I think Tom should rather help with fixing unowned directories
> and implicit conflicts instead. ;)

This is not so much about yum, but about possibly enabling rpm to use the
directory hierarchy for additional hints in transaction ordering (and
general sanity, ownership of eg translation-related directories is a huge
mess without a good reason):
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-packaging/2009-June/msg00059.html

There are several complications that need to be resolved somehow
before it's possible in practise though.

 	- Panu -