yum 3.2.23 more than 10x slower than 3.2.21?!

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Fri Jun 26 15:15:24 UTC 2009

Seth Vidal wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Jun 2009, Roberto Ragusa wrote:
>
>> Seth Vidal wrote:
>>>
>>> and if you can make this happen every time with 3.2.23 if you could
>>> please run:
>>>
>>> time yum -d 3 list updates | grep 'time:'
>>
>> You were not talking to me, but I tried and
>> look at this: (added -C to avoid net access)
>>
>> # time yum -C -d 3 list updates --disablerepo=atrpms\* | grep 'time:'
>> Config time: 0.271
>> repo time: 0.001
>> pkgsack time: 86.684
>
> and you're POSITIVE nothing is being downloaded here? Nothing at all?
>
> Run it again, please and capture all the output and post it to a pastebin.

Consider that there is a -C, that is repeatable, and that the CPU is at 100%:
it is not waiting, it is computing ("user" time result).

Just repeated the test.
No disk activity.
No net activity. (in any case I'm on a connection where remote downloads sometimes reach 100Mbit/s).

# time yum -d 3 --disablerepo=\* --enablerepo=ROB10\*             --enablerepo=updates  list updates | grep 'time:'
Config time: 0.199
repo time: 0.001
pkgsack time: 57.204
rpmdb time: 0.003