FESCo meeting summary for 2009-06-26

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 01:59:49 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 11:59:07PM +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>Seth Vidal wrote:
>> Furthermore, I was being flippant b/c I thought the claim that Kevin was
>> making was a bit over the top. Misleading? That implies intent and no one
>> is intending to mislead anyone.
>
>Huh? You can accidentally mislead somebody. I never claimed it was
>intentional!
>
>That said, after this vote, it now clearly _is_ intentional, because I've
>made you and the other FESCo members aware of the issue and you (and
>everyone else on FESCo except me who obviously dissented, jwb who abstained
>and dgilmore who was absent) decided to ignore it (and even abstention
>isn't really addressing the issue).

I abstained from voting on your specific proposal.  I don't think that specific
proposal is actually going to help anything you appear to be really concerned
about.

As I said in the meeting, the underlying motivation of your proposal appeared
to me to be seated in more of a "promote KDE" manner than an actual "call the
Gnome spin Gnome."  In that sense, changing the name of a spin will do nothing
to further promote KDE.

If I am wrong in the underlying intention of your proposal, then I'll happily
(if somewhat pointlessly now) vote after the fact.  However, if I am truly
wrong, then why does the rest of this thread seem to focus so much on KDE,
it's users, and how they are being slighted?

This is why I abstained on the specific proposal.

josh