FESCo meeting summary for 2009-06-26

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Jun 27 03:46:03 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 04:51:28 +0200,
  Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > Please no. I am sick enough of that in real world politics.
> > Representatives are supposed to do what they think is best, not what the
> > majority of (less informed) people want. I want representatives that are
> > going to lead the project, not make decisions based on opinion polls of
> > the minute.
>
> And I'm sick of real-world politicians ignoring the will of their people...
> Those folks make democracy look not very different from dictatorship at
> times.

If the people don't think a politician is properly protecting their interest,
than the next election cycle they should vote for someone else.

When I vote for a politician based on their stances on issues, I want to
know that for the most part they will keep those stances, not switch
their stances in order gain votes in the next election cycle.

Politicians should hold actual opinions and base their stances on issues on
those opinions and try to convince the voters that their stances are correct.
They shouldn't decide what their stances on issues are, based on polls or
what will get them reelected.

I suspect that the weasels that say whatever it takes to get reelected are
probably a lot more likely to make deals for campaign contributions, that
hurt the general public than ones that stick to their guns.

I ranked you fairly high in the vote, because I thought your voice in
support of KDE would be good to have on the board, even though I use
Gnome. I am not expecting you to switch to endorsing switching resources
from KDE to Gnome if there is a poll that shows more Fedora users use
Gnome than KDE.