FESCo meeting summary for 2009-06-26

Niels Haase arxs at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jun 27 21:27:50 UTC 2009

2009/6/27 Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com>:
> I never know where to reply to these sort of threads... but I guess I
> will pick here. ;)
>
> On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 19:44:48 -0500
> inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> ...snip...
>
>> When I look at a directory listing and see
>>
>> Fedora-11-x86_64-Live.iso
>> Fedora-11-x86_64-Live-KDE.iso
>>
>> it is pretty clear to KDE users which image they want. How about we
>> give the poor Gnome users the same courtesy and indicate which image
>> includes what they are looking for? Why should KDE be treated better?
>
> Because lots of people who go to download "Fedora" have no idea or
> desire to know what "Gnome" or "KDE" means.
>
> Let me pass along (again) my reasoning on this issue:
>
> Currently, a number of folks (myself included) thinks that Fedora
> should have in their target demographic users who are new to Linux in
> general and Fedora in particular. The sort of people who read a review
> in a magazine and decide to try out Fedora/Linux, or who have someone
> suggest they do so. These people expect to go and "download Fedora" and
> try it out. If they go to a page that has 20 choices, none of which
> they understand a high percentage of them will just go do something
> else, or try one and be upset when they download the wrong arch.
>
> If the Board decides that this demographic is NOT what Fedora should be
> aiming for, then I am all for the re-naming and reorganizing the
> download page. We could have "Gnome desktop", "KDE Desktop", "Xfce
> Desktop", "LXDE desktop", "server edition", "bare netinstall", and
> anything else that has enough people working on it to provide a valid
> offering.
>
> So, to try to bring this back to being constructive:
>
> 1. Feel free to appeal this decision to the Board. Ask them to overrule
> FESCo if you think this is a incorrect decision.
>
> 2. Try and gather statistics or other data that does indicate that
> Fedora isn't popular or used by new linux users, and we should abandon
> trying to interest these people in fedora. Based on all the time I
> spend helping new folks in #fedora, I don't see this being the case at
> all.
>
> 3. Try and come up with some magical layout that does not present 20
> choices to new users, but allows those more experenced users to find
> the KDE and other installs they want. I really don't know how that
> would look, but perhaps there is some way.

Magical can be: Shows up a list at the installer where you can chose
from Gnome or KDE (both on the same line with no default activation)
and on the next line an alternative environment, here you have thinks
like E17, XFCE, LXDE ... But you only the them, if you click on
"alternative".

--
Regards,
Niels