FESCo meeting summary for 2009-06-26

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 22:28:57 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 12:19 AM, Orcan Ogetbil<oget.fedora at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 6:04 PM, drago01 wrote:
>> Why treat XFCE as second class citizen ...
>
> Easy answer: because the size of its userbase is not in the same order
> of magnitude with Gnome.

Yeah but only because it is treated as a second class citizen (I hate
using this kind of arguments but I think you should get the point).

>> ok lets add it to the list.
>> But what about LXDE ?  .....
>>
>> You see where this leads too ... a distro should (I would even say
>> must) provide a default choice.
>
> This is weak reasoning because of your above weak starting point.

No its not, the above point is simply replacing KDE with something
else so that you can see how your own arguments sound to others.

>> Its a distro not a bunch of packages that gets shipped.
>>

> So?

We can't simply provide a list of 15000 packages and tell the user
"please choose" we have to select a default set of packages. (ie what
we are doing now).

This has nothing to do with KDE, I just think that asking the user
tons of question "what would you like to use" is simply wrong its OUR
(ie. the distro) job to do this choice.