rawhide report: 20090627 changes

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Sun Jun 28 15:49:53 UTC 2009

Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> Honestly, I couldn't think of a scenario where this package name will
> break some system.

If the only concern were to avoid name collisions that would break things,
then packages wouldn't have names at all. It would be easier and more
efficient to just give each package a unique number. The names are for humans
to read.

> PS: Is this really so important?

Names are important. If I saw a package called "SevenZip", and I hadn't read
this discussion, I would think it was a port of the program 7-Zip. That's not
what it is, which means that the name is misleading.

Luckily the summary and the description reflect what the content actually is,
so the misunderstanding would be rectified quickly, but it would be better to
avoid the misunderstanding in the first place.

Björn Persson