FESCo meeting summary for 2009-06-26

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 17:51:15 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 1:22 PM, Seth Vidal wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009, Christopher Stone wrote:
>

>> Whatever desktop RH employees are paid to work on to satisfy their
>> biggest RHEL customers needs.  Or what they *think* their biggest RHEL
>> customers want.
>>
>> I think the question you need to ask is why they must force this onto
>> the Fedora *community* OS when the community is clearly objecting to
>> it.
>

> 'the community' is an awfully flexibly concept.
>
> I think we have a handful of vocal opponents.
>
> luckily we don't have to implement every whim that the majority or a vocal
> group yells about.
>
> we are ( at best) a representative democracy. The representatives (on fesco)
> had an idea suggested to them. They voted. The idea was rejected.
>
> Now, instead of accepting that this how the system works we've spent nearly
> 3 days arguing about a decision which is DONE.
>
> I'm glad we've made such productive use of the system we set up.
>
> If someone believes fesco made a bad decision then you are welcome to take
> it to the board.
>
> The discussion here is completely unhelpful and never going to produce
> results that ANY group wants.

I agree that the voting was democratic and a decision was made by the
votes of the majority in FESCo.

However I do not agree that the discussion here is completely
unhelpful. It shows some of us directly the bad decision(s) we made
when we cast our votes in FESCo elections, so that we don't make the
same mistake(s) again. I, for one, will be more careful to give my
vote to those who are capable of performing (at least basic) reasoning
and who are constructive in resolving conflicts. It really doesn't
matter for me that much which direction they take, whether they are
thinking my way or not. I just want to see my representatives doing
their homework.

Best,
Orcan