FESCo meeting summary for 2009-06-26

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Mon Jun 29 13:50:33 UTC 2009

On Monday 29 June 2009 10:56:24 Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 06/29/2009 12:54 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > The user does not care, so why present things to the user as if they
> > should?
>
> I said nothing about users. You should as a Fedora developer care about
> integration with leading edge features that makes Fedora stand out.
>
> > You're calling things "integration" which are just features, e.g.
> > fingerprint reading.
>
> I guess that is a just a different perspective. My point of view is
> that, finger print functionality already exists for quite sometime.
> What is new is the integration with desktop environment and display
> manager. I find it amusing that you won't even agree that shipping
> nm-applet in KDE results is a gap in integration.

Yes, shipping nm-applet is really big issue as it has a lot of usability
problems (and from what I know authors finally realized it) but it's better to
have something than nothing of course...

The biggest issue is lack of communication from "the only right Desktop" - we
can't catch changes if these changes are communicated to community too late.
Lot of new free desktop techs come from Fedora and we know it and we're
working really hard with upstream to solve it and catch current state. But
we're unfortunately out of sync with KDE upstream releases and so it's harder
sometimes.

Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Řezník <jreznik at redhat.com>