http://www.fsf.org/news/dont-depend-on-mono

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 15:19:28 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 5:08 PM, Kevin Kofler<kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> drago01 wrote:
>> Another don't use $LANGUAGE because its evil post from RMS.
>
> So what? His concerns are real.

Depends on how you read them and whether you agree with him or not.
And for most cases I don't.

Saying mono is evil while having DotGNU seems odd to me
(http://www.gnu.org/software/dotgnu/)

>> ($LANGUAGE has been Java, Javascript and now C#).
>
> Java used to be non-Free, so of course it was bad to depend on it.
> Especially for those programs which didn't work with the implementations
> which were Free Software at the time (GCJ/Classpath-based stuff).

Suns Java implementation was non free, Java itself had a open spec (so
that you can implement your own java vm if you want).
People wrote code that required the Sun implementation for obvious reasons.
But as Sun opened there implementation in form of openjdk this is a
issue of the past.

For C# people seem to do it the other way around free software seems
to always require the free implementation (even on windows).

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/javascript-trap.html