FESCo meeting summary for 2009-06-26

Matthew Garrett mjg at redhat.com
Mon Jun 29 17:44:11 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 12:31:59PM -0500, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> I love how "the other side" keeps ignoring that we have a
> chicken-and-egg situation here.
>
> We have two problems:
> 1. Fedora has trouble attracting KDE developers.
> 2. Fedora presents Gnome as "better".
>
> Okay, it's been argued into the ground that #2 is justified by #1. The
> problem is, #1 is *also* justified by #2. Neither of the justifications
> is going to disappear until the opposing problem disappears. Refusing to
> do anything is just going to maintain the status-quo ("vicious cycle",
> and all that).

That's certainly an argument, though it's a harder one to make - it's
not easy to show that changing #1 will result in #2 changing. However,
it is easy to argue that treating KDE as equivalent to Gnome without
having equivalent developer resources causes some level of cost for our
users. Are the long term benefits worth it? Perhaps, but that's hard to
quantify. Maybe we'd just end up reducing interest in Fedora as a whole
and everyone would suffer.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org