Installing Fedora with software based synthesizer for sceenreader

Alexander Boström abo at stacken.kth.se
Tue Jun 30 10:15:14 UTC 2009

Den 2009-06-30 09:28, Caolán McNamara skrev:
> Is is possible to *install* Fedora using our accessibility support out
> of the box, specifically do we have support for installing fedora and
> have a software based synthesizer available for the screen reader during
> installation ?

I suppose the live image is probably the easiest way. Are all the
required components included? Also, an accessible method of enabling
them would be required. Then, is Anaconda/liveinst accessible if run in
a suitably configured desktop session?

Making {pxe,iso,sys}linux accessible and adding an option there would be
one way, but that seems hard or not very good. (Press 'a' when it goes
"bleep blaap" or something like that.)

Perhaps the two LiveUSB tools we have could benefit from options that
will enable the a11y bits for the live desktop session? (Probably by
adding yet another kernel command line option.) That way one could even
use an accessible Windows desktop to create an a11y-enabled Fedora
LiveUSB. (Is liveusb-creator and Gtk2 on Windows accessible?) Care would
perhaps need to be taken to make sure that a11y is also enabled by
default in the Fedora installation that liveinst produces, though that's
not as important because GDM does have an accessible way to enable a11y.

/abo (who could cross-post this all over the place considering how much
it covers, but won't)