RFC: automagically set wireless regulatory domain in cfg80211

John W. Linville linville at redhat.com
Mon Mar 2 18:21:12 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 10:03:54AM -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 12:53 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> >
> > Some fallback (like an init script) should be included in any case,
> > since some installations will obviously not be using NetworkManager.
> > NM, when in use, can certainly push updated regulatory settings when
> > necessary, over and above what the init script would do.
> >
> > So we should really have both.
>
> And if the system isn't going to use wireless at all, why spend the
> bootup time to set something that will be of no use?

I don't think we said we would do that.  There are many ways to solve
the problem while serving users.

Here is my question:  If we can provide a simple solution almost
effortlessly, why tell anyone that might deviate from the otherwise
approved configuration "suck it, roll your own"?

John
--
John W. Linville		Linux should be at the core
linville at redhat.com			of your literate lifestyle.