jpackage.org-derived Groups

Jerry James loganjerry at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 15:35:01 UTC 2009

I have been dinged repeatedly in reviews for using the group
Development/Libraries/Java.  Every time, I point out that this is a
jpackage.org-derived group, that we have dozens of packages already in
Fedora using this group, that the Group doesn't really matter anyway
since we are using comps.xml to categorize packages, and that I am not
going to change the group name just because rpmlint complains about
it.  Can we do one of the following?

(1) Add the handful of jpackage.org Group names that are not on the
official list to the official list so that rpmlint shuts up.

(2) Modify the review guidelines to explicitly say that the contents
of the Group field are effectively garbage, not consumed in any way by
any Fedora tool, so that random text can appear there without
consequence.

It's a waste of reviewer time to keep pointing this out to me, and a
waste of my time to keep having to respond to it.

Darn the lack of facial expressions in email.  I just reread my own
message and picked up an angry tone.  I'm not angry.  I'm a happy guy.
 I just want to stop defending the use of jpackage.org groups.
Thanks,
--
Jerry James
http://loganjerry.googlepages.com/