Eclipse EMF build failures on ppc64 hosts

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Mar 6 19:15:34 UTC 2009

> I thought Mamoru had it correct, and the bug was in the spec: it
> declared noarch but used %_libdir, which is not valid and makes no
> sense, %_libdir being inherently arch-dependent. It shouldn't be
> expected for %_libdir to 'work' in a noarch build, AFAICT, and if
> anything, the behaviour of always expanding to /usr/lib for a noarch
> build is probably the most sensible thing to do.

There is a bug here.  The /build/ process relies on a path that is arch
specific in order to /build/ the noarch package.  Usually the things we
need to build are in a static location in /usr/bin or /usr/libexec
rather than directly in %_libdir, but it is what it is.  Just because
the /build/ process relies upon something that is arch specific doesn't
make the end result arch specific as well, or else every package made of
scripted language code would be arch specific since the interpreter
itself is arch specific.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!