InstantMirror Project: Google Summer of Code 2009

Kulbir Saini kulbirsaini at students.iiit.ac.in
Fri Mar 13 07:07:37 UTC 2009

2009/3/13 Warren Togami <wtogami at redhat.com>

> Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 6:28 AM, Warren Togami <wtogami at redhat.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> https://fedorahosted.org/InstantMirror/
>>>
>>> I have wrote down design notes of the new InstantMirror project.  This
>>> project is meant to be fostered in Google Summer of Code 2009, with
>>> multiple Red Hat engineers as mentors, and possibly multiple students
>>> working together as a team. Students are to be judged by their ability
>>> to work with others as a team, their ability to implement the plan, and
>>> their ability to encourage participation from further volunteers
>>> interested in solving these problems.
>>>

>> I could be wrong but wasn't there a similar GSoC project last year ?
>>

> Last year was IntelligentMirror, which had misguided goals and ultimately
> is not very useful.

    It was _not_ misguided. It was designed for the people who can't afford
replication of complete mirror because they pay a fortune for the bandwidth
they use. It forced squid to cache only the packages which are used in an
intelligent fashion. So that saves a lot of bandwidth which is otherwise
wasted by other softwares to keep packages upto date which are never used
within an organization (due to community interest).

    IntelligentMirror also solved the problem of "squid doesn't serve a
package XYZ from cache when it is fetched from a different mirror." which no
other plugin/software, I know, solves till date.

> This design if implemented properly could possibly upgrade all Fedora
> mirrors and make them operate a lot more efficiently.  It would also make it
> real easy to deploy your own mini-mirror to serve your own local network.
>  For example, at home I personally would use InstantMirror with maybe 30GB
> of cache allocated, but pre-fetching turned off.
>
> Warren Togami Jr.
> warren at togami.com
>

> --
>
> --
> believed to be clean.
>
> --
Thank you,
Kulbir Saini,
Computer Science and Engineering,
International Institute of Information Technology,
Hyderbad, India - 500032.

My Home-Page: http://saini.co.in/
My Linux-Blog: http://fedora.co.in/
My Open-Source Project : http://cachevideos.com/