F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Bill Crawford billcrawford1970 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 16:56:09 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 31 March 2009 17:39:01 Robert Marcano wrote:

> I was not saying to make Ctrl+Alt+Del works like Windows, I am saying
> Del is very near to Backspace, and when someone see a screensaver
> locked up X session, one of the first thing they try is control + alt
> + del to login, and a simple finger mistake and your session goes
> down.

This is one of the few sane arguments in the whole debate. If there is a genuine
problem with this (and someone commented a day or two ago about problems due to
a laptop keyboard with the backspace very near something else) then we actually
have a good reason to opt for a different - or more obviously configurable -
way to kill the session; logging out is generally already configurarable by the
desktop environment.