FESCo Meeting Summary for 20090424

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Sun May 3 00:47:16 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-05-02 at 18:53 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > We worked on the new gnome-volume-control because pavucontrol is a "show
> > all the options underneath" program, just like the ALSA mixers were.
> >
> > We wrote use cases, we checked what other systems did, and we intend to
> > present something to the user that's less complicated than showing up
> > all the knobs PulseAudio offers.
>
> Translation:
>
> "We worked on the new gnome-volume-control because pavucontrol has too many
> features and we hate powerful applications.
>
> So we wrote down the simplest use cases we could come up with in a short
> brainstorming session and decided to remove all the useful features we
> didn't think of, not asking for any actual user input, and we intend to
> present a crippled user interface only showing that simplistic subset of
> features."
>
> And then you're surprised clichés about GNOME working exactly that way
> circulate?

First of all, I'd appreciate if you didn't put words in my mouth.

And no, we usually don't ask for as much user input as some other
projects, because otherwise we get asked to show the old knobs for power
users, instead of having them trying to explain what they're trying to
do.

I'd advise you to read "The inmates are running the asylum" by Alan
Cooper (or "Is it just me or is everything shit?" if you're in a lighter
mood).