Abandon "Default Desktop"

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Mon May 4 18:03:53 UTC 2009

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

<Snip>
</Snip

> Jesse isn't saying that having Firefox is the deciding factor for the
> question of whether it should be the default.  The choice of name is
> bikeshedable (It's really the Red Hat Desktop Team's vision at the
> moment; your points about how many different choices than upstream made
> makes it no longer GNOME) but the name is separate from the issue of it
> being the default live image.

Interesting..

So does a *DE SIG that emerges have to follow upstream to the letter
to be allowed to be called Fedora-<insert DE name here>?

Can a Gnome SIG be created to act as Gnome representatives within the
Fedora project
and it's spin thus gets named Fedora-Gnome which may or may not differ
from the current desktop spin?

What are the criteria that other DE's need to meet to be allowed to be
the "default" or "Fedora-Desktop"?

Which begs another question how do we handle if more then one DE can and
will meet that criteria?

JBG