Abandon "Default Desktop"

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon May 4 18:26:31 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 18:03 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> So does a *DE SIG that emerges have to follow upstream to the letter
> to be allowed to be called Fedora-<insert DE name here>?

No, but the people behind the spin / SIG should agree with each other on
these things.

> Can a Gnome SIG be created to act as Gnome representatives within the
> Fedora project
> and it's spin thus gets named Fedora-Gnome which may or may not differ
> from the current desktop spin?

If there was a motivated team of people, sure, they could create a Gnome
spin.  They'd have to go through the spin SIG and get all the approval
levels.  Depending on how much difference there would be between the
gnome spin and the desktop spin, we may choose to not produce/distribute
their spin as part of a Fedora release though.

> What are the criteria that other DE's need to meet to be allowed to be
> the "default" or "Fedora-Desktop"?

We only have one default, one Fedora Desktop spin.  We aren't going to
have multiple.

> Which begs another question how do we handle if more then one DE can and
> will meet that criteria?

I don't think we can have that scenario.  The Desktop sig creates the
Desktop spin, and its that spin that the Fedora project puts forward as
it's default spin.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!