Multiple repositories or multiple subdirectories

Robert Marcano robert at marcanoonline.com
Mon May 4 20:25:28 UTC 2009

I have local mirrors of the Fedora repositories to serve the internal
requirements without downloading each update for every machine. We do
not install games nor KDE applications, but everytime there is an update
for those packages the network is used.

There are solutions like SpaceWalk for the updates problem, but at the
same time we need to have some packages available to install if needed,
not only updates. Another options is to use an intelligent mirror that
check package groups and download only the groups you are interested
from the mirror, but that adds another complexity over the standard
mirror tool that is rsync

Maybe creating a repository layout like

repodata
base
gnome
kde
development

could make easy for mirrors to tell rsync to ignore some directories.
createrepo already support a nested structure, What do you think about
that?.