Abandon "Default Desktop"

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Tue May 5 01:00:13 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 8:41 PM, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 20:00 -0400, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>> >
>> > http://www.joelonsoftware.com/uibook/chapters/fog0000000059.html
>> >

>> Nope, that text doesn't have any scientific value. It contains
>> variations of "Nobody cares", "Nobody wants..." without backup. I
>> neither have met this Nobody person, nor do I care what he wants more
>> than I care for any other user in the pool. In fact, I know more
>> people who care about certain design choices than who don't. Moreover,
>> the text tends to confuse bad design with customizability (although it
>> tries hard not to).
>
> I'm sure you have scientific studies showing people love playing 20
> questions to get anything done, right?

No, I particularly like having choices. Whenever I am getting
furniture or some kitchen appliance, I go to the store and make my
selection according to my taste. I find it important the way my
furniture looks. Also I make sure that my kitchen appliance have the
capabilities that I am interested.

And I know quite a lot of people who do it the same way. In fact, very
few houses I have seen have identical furniture and kitchen
appliances. The reason for this is people have made decisions among
multiple choices. You may want to grab the first microwave oven you
see and get out of the store, but believe me, most people are not like
you.

If you don't believe me, look out of your window. You might see
different brands of cars. I think that would be a proof that is
"scientific enough".

Have a choice :)
Orcan