OpenOffice 3.1

John5342 john5342 at googlemail.com
Sun May 10 21:58:26 UTC 2009

2009/5/10 Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com>:
> On Mon, 2009-05-11 at 00:05 +0400, Pavel Alexeev (aka Pahan-Hubbitus) wrote:
>> +1
>> I fully agreed. Fedora is a bleeding edge distro. It is why I love it.
>> It sometimes got trouble, but it is. If we have distro with other policy
>> - please, RHEL, CentOS have it absolutely different - no updates until
>> it absolutely needed.
>> So, if 3.0 -> 3.1 update do not promise serious troubles - I want see it
>> in Fedora 10.
>
> Fedora has a bleeding edge release.  it's called rawhide.  Feel free to
> use it.  Others prefer an actual release that tries to maintain
> something close to stability throughout its lifetime.  Stability not
> just in bugs, but in how things operate and how valid the documentation
> is for it, or what to expect when confronted with a GA vs GA+ 4 months
> of updates.

That may be true to some extent but here is what i think the
repos/releases should be.

Rawhide - A place to dump known breaking changes to knock them into
shape before next release.

Updates testing. - A place to put updates which are not expected to
significantly break things in order fix them so they become
non-breaking updates.

updates - Non-breaking updates. Nothing stopping this or any of the
above from being bleeding edge and it should recieve updates to latest
version where possible so long as it doesnt result in breakage or
regressions.

RedHat/CentOS/Your other slow release distro here - All packages
should be absolutely stable and almost entirely bug fixes/minor
updates. No breakage what so ever.

Every distro should have its purpose/aim or it will fail. There are
already plenty of distros that concentrate stability or performance or
size etc. Fedora in my opinion is aiming to be leading edge. Sure it
shouldnt be at the total expense of stability (cant be worked on if it
doesnt work) but that doesnt mean we should avoid updating just
because it might look ever so slightly different to documentation or
there might be the odd bug. I think most people do (or should) know
leading edge and absolute stability can conflict at times.

Just my 2 cents/pence/other small currency

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't...