182 pending F11 stable updates. WTF?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon May 11 11:58:19 UTC 2009

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-05-09 at 04:30 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> Short summary:
>> * Open F11 updates/testing NOW
>
> We've been trying to push F11 updates for a couple days now.
... but you still haven't updated fedora-release, so neither mock
doesn't pick them up.

>> * Decouple cuttings DVDs from F11 development
>
> I honestly don't understand what you're proposing here.  No DVD from the release?
No, I am proposing that rel-eng chooses a set of packages to build iso
etc. from, while "updates" "rolls on".

Or differently: rel-eng composes the "Fedora" repo from those packages
they choose, which "updates" continues, independently from rel-eng's
activities.

>  What do we have people download to get the release?
As before ... the only difference would be "Fedora" (i.e. the set of
packages the DVDs etc. would have been built from) would be older than
"updates" (and/or "Everything")

>  What do
> we hand out at events?
Openly said, ... I would hand out netboot.img's, accompanied with a yum
repository of "Everything" ... but that's a different topic.

>> * Implement rawhide/testing
>
> Is this a full time thing, you always want a rawhide, and a
> rawhide-testing, which is driven by bodhi?
I haven't thought about all details, but I am inclined to lean towards a
"permanent rawhide-testing".

There would be times where it hardly would be used, but there can easily
be times, when it would be heavily used (e.g. there currently is a
proposal pending which would severely change perl's behavior (perl
module search order and file system layout), with currently unclear
outcome).

Ralf