Fedora (Linux) is Destroying it self

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon May 11 16:51:08 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-11 at 15:56 +0200, Michael Nielsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been told this is the right place to place this debate starter.
>

> Not to demean the fine work that has been done in maintaining fedora,
> however the distribution is slowly killing itself, being destroyed by
> contradicting philosophies. Many of the problems have been directly
> copied from the Windows world.
>
> The main problems are.
>
> 1. Removal of features - the user interfaces are being dumbed down, like
> recently I've searched for the ability to remove the "Raise on Click"
> feature that is default for Gnome MetaCity, there does not appear to be
> any such feature anymore / argument being to simplify how it works..
> Fine, create a simple view and an advanced view for the configuration
> tools, so that people who are clueless about any other way than the
> official Redmond way, can avoid being confronted with an alternative.
>
> 2. The network interfaces are being bound to the user interface, such
> that if your X fails for some reason, or you are running on a text
> console, you are unable to open the wireless configuration, at least
> it's not obvious how you do it, without X running. The configuration for
> the network interfaces are so tightly bound to the user interface, such
> that if there is no user interface there are no network interfaces.

This is false.

NetworkManager will read (and write!) system network configuration for
wired & wireless devices, and can bring those devices up before login.
I think what you may be missing is an easy one-command tool to
activate/deactivate those, and that's fairly simple with dbus-send, and
yes, its something that should be written.  But in now way is network
tied to a UI or unusable without a UI.

Dan