OpenOffice 3.1

James Hubbard jameshubbard at gmail.com
Mon May 11 20:23:21 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

[snip]

> To me, this comes back - again - to what I've been thinking about for a
> while now: what do we want Fedora to be? Who do we want it to be for?

[snip]

> But, yet again, it's a question that can't be answered until we know
> what exactly Fedora is supposed to be, and for whose benefit. Even if we
> come up with a consistent and coherent policy it likely won't work until
> that question is properly answered and agreed upon.

I've seen this question asked in a round about way by others, but I've
never seen anyone address it.   I've just taken it for granted that
Fedora is a developer distribution that gets periodically rolled into
a commercial distribution.  I expect some churn/breakage.

I don't expect my non-technical friends to install/use Fedora.  When I
install a distribution on someone's machine, it's usually Ubuntu. If
it won't work because of drivers, I may consider Fedora. I wouldn't
expect a non-techie user  to update their system as soon as it was EOL
 ~1 year. Some of my co-works have jumped to Ubuntu because they don't
like the short support cycle. It appears to be easier to upgrade from
one version of Ubuntu to the next and it's support cycle is longer (16
months for 9.04).  This means it's less work for me to help them.

I'm okay with wiping the appropriate partitions on my machines and
re-installing things from scratch when I'm ready to update. I don't
want to help people do that once a year for Fedora.  I do that enough
now with windows.