Update -> no sound

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Tue May 12 17:38:55 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-12 at 18:55 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> Please file a bug about this. And please provide a proper description
> what is going on. Something more than "doesn't work" or "no sound".

I don't know more. I've already spent 1h on the problem,
I can't see what else I can do. And BTW, to go through the
sluggish BZ every time is just too much work.

> > A few more notes:
> >   - I said that PA doesn't restart if killed. I was wrong.
> >     It does, except that Flash doesn't reconnect. However,
> >     Rhythmbox does reconnect, and I tested that several times.
> >     Now even it doesn't want to work
>
> Flash is closed source sw, we cannot fix that.

My point was the even Rb wasn't working even if it did work in
the past.

> >   - I did an Update, but I didn't reboot or restart. However,
> >     my gut is telling me this is not related to the update,
> >     but rather with another PA failure. I got an error about
> >     some "Stream too big" or somesuch.
>
> There is no such error in PA. Please file a bug and include an exact
> description of the error message.

I can't reproduce it, it may be a Gstreamer error, I don't know.

> >   - The PA volume control shows Firefox connected, but I
> >     get no sound. However, I can't see Rhythmbox.
> >
> > P.S. After killing the PA instance owned by me (dimi), I
> > got sound again out of Rhythmbox.
>
> Have you reconfigured the default gst disk? You need to make sure that
> "pulsesink" is the default sink. If you configure it to something else
> it's your own fault fi things don't work as expected anymore.

No, it's not my fault. That is the only thing that is 100% clear.
I had working sound, I didn't touch anything, sound stopped working
out of the blue ==> NOT MY FAULT.

I had to drop to the command line and kill(1) one PA instance.

> Use gconf-editor and look in /system/gstreamer/0.10/default.

It's set to autoaudiosink. I've never touched this setting.

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.