SPARC Status (Was Re: Secondary Architecture Status?)

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed May 13 02:12:39 UTC 2009

Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> It likely is something worth looking into, but based on my experiences
>> with Fedora on my netbook, I am having doubts compiler optimizations
>> alone are worth a "secondary arch".
>>
>> At least on my netbook, neither "speed" or "space" (mine has a disk)
>> are actual problems.
>
> Is for me! :-) But I don't think -Os is the solution; the problems tend
> to be long dep-chains and data (and especially, the intersection of
> both*).
Do I understand correctly, your issue is disk-space? Are you installing
to a (slow?) small solid state disk? How big is it?

However, I would not understand issues related to cpu-speed, because my
own netbook (Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270 at 1.60GHz, 1 GB RAM) easily
outperforms older machines I have around.

Ralf