OpenOffice 3.1

James Hubbard jameshubbard at gmail.com
Wed May 13 13:04:16 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 6:15 AM, Matej Cepl <mcepl at redhat.com> wrote:
> Well, problem I have with declaring Fedora geek-only is that
> I would like to have something to install for my
> parents/wife/geek-impaired friends. And I really don't want to
> install them Ubuntu -- not only because I have my doubts about
> its quality, but also because I would prefer them to feed with
> their input relevant for our stuff, and frankly because I don't
> want to keep in my poor mind both /etc/network/interfaces and
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/*-cfg ;-).
>
> Currently my options are Fedora (last released just with updates)
> and CentOS. I tend to think more and more about CentOS for such
> cases, but I would really like give them something more recent
> and something which would directly feed into Fedora.

That's fine.  You can continue to do that.  I don't think that anyone
minds that at all.   Fedora is on the computers that my wife uses, but
I'm there to help when she needs it.  You just have to realize that
you may need to help them.  I want to minimize the time spent "fixing"
Aunt Flo's computer.  She just wants it to work and won't be doing
anything technical.  When she calls to ask for some help with setting
up bridged networking so her virtual machine can get it's own IP
address, I'll think about helping to use tools to that will make it
easier.

Fedora's EOL policy is too short and the older packages in CentOS
leave something to be desired.  I don't know how wireless support is
in CentOS 5.3.  If it equates to what wireless support was pre-F7, I
don't want to have to help someone with that mess.

Fedora and Ubuntu are working out of the box on most of the equipment
that I have tested it on lately.  I like using Fedora.  Fedora updates
the packages more frequently, giving me access to things that I
want/need.  Ubuntu provides more stability and is more suited for
those users that need it.  I'm okay with that.

Until someone steps up and answers Adam's question about Fedora's
targeted user, this debate will continue.  I've not seen anyone do
that yet. The section "Is Fedora for me" on the overview page is the
closest thing that I've seen.  I don't believe that Aunt Flo meets the
criteria.