Breaking deps deliberately

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Wed May 13 15:55:55 UTC 2009

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Breaking deps deliberately
From: Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org>
To: Development discussions related to Fedora <fedora-devel-list at redhat.com>
Date: 05/13/2009 10:40 AM

> Good point, though this one is solvable client-side.  In the current
> desktop experience you choose whether to install just security or
> everything every time.  We could make that setting default to
> persistent, so that people who choose to do only security will have
> their yum configuration changed to disable updates-all.

I'm not sure why you think we need entirely separate repos for this kind
of action. PackageKit is aware of update levels. Bug fix, security fix,
or regular feature update. You could add functionality to PackageKit
that allows you default the type of updates you want instead of all
updates. Right now you can just manually uncheck the updates you do not
want, so if they don't have a red icon next to them. In fact, I think
the notification window you get that says "Security Updates only" would
get you on your way.