Sound doesn't work, again!

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sun May 17 22:28:06 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-05-17 at 20:36 +0100, Richard Rondu wrote:
> On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 8:19 PM, Mathieu Bridon (bochecha)
> <bochecha at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> >> AFAIU, I have a fairly standard sound card:
> >> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
> >
> > Same card here. It's been working fine from F9 (first release I used
> > on this laptop) to F11.
> >

> Same card, worked fine from F8 to F9. Quite randomly in F10, it broke
> several times after some updates (don't ask me which) and currently I
> had for the first time to use tsched=0 since around 2 weeks or I have
> a bad sound quality with glitch etc (not to mention pulseaudio crash
> quite frequently, worked fine before F10).

It's not the 'same card', in fact. Simple lspci info like this is not
sufficient to identify precisely Intel 8x0 or HDA codec sound hardware.
You have to provide the output of alsa-info.sh , which gives the
subsystem IDs, which actually precisely identify the hardware. There are
dozens of different 8x0 and HDA implementions which share the same main
vendor and device IDs.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey