Package Maintainers Flags policy

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Tue May 19 09:26:54 UTC 2009

On 05/18/2009 07:36 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Denis Leroy (denis at poolshark.org) said:
>>> Due to an oversight, this policy was not announced here. ;(
>>>
>>> Please see:
>>>
>>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_Maintainers_Flags_Policy
>> Surely, this needs to go through FPC first.
>
> Given that it's (essentially) a legal issue (affecting distribution/
> availability of Fedora), I don't see that.

It is not really a legal issue, as Tom mentioned. You cannot get sued
for putting "Free Tibet" on your web page. But back to the topic,
putting all flags blindly into the same "controversial" category is
simply silly, and an overreaction. As was mentioned in another post,
let's stick with UN-recognized countries, and let packagers deal with
other cases based on specific user complaints or feedback.

I am not saying we should not deal with packages containing
intentionally provocative political contents (I don't know, some sort of
easter egg feature displaying political propaganda, has that ever
happened ?), but the torrent package is a far cry from that scenario. At
worst, isolate the deemed-offensive flags in a separate RPM (so that
people who want to create a PRC-friendly Fedora spin can do so easily),
but please don't put ALL flags in the same category.

The drafted policy is overreaching.