Package Maintainers Flags policy

Ewan Mac Mahon ewan at macmahon.me.uk
Tue May 19 15:55:47 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 10:59:07AM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Ewan Mac Mahon <ewan at macmahon.me.uk> wrote:
> >
> > The problem with FreeCiv is that the only distinction between a city or
> > unit of one nation and one of another is the flag[1], so there doesn't
> > seem to be any simple way to remove them.
>
> Hmm, right I forgot they're on the units too, I was just thinking of
> the civilization selection screen.
>

> Actually let's be practical here and admit Freeciv is a pretty special
> case.

That's true, but if the no flags policy is intended to cover the whole
distribution then it needs to take account of the hard cases as well as
the easy ones.

>  The main thing we want to squash is things like flags in input
> method selection which is very prominent in the UI, and flags in
> bittorrent clients whose removal doesn't at all substantially affect
> the operation of the software.

That's a reasonable postion, but it's not quite the same as the current
policy.

We really do need to decide whether the response to a package that can't
feasably have it's flags removed is to drop the package, or live with
the flags. If we go for the latter then we're not actually solved the
problem of distributing Fedora in places like China, and I'm not sure
that the former is an attractive trade-off for what seems a fairly
marginal benefit.

Ewan