Package Maintainers Flags policy

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Tue May 19 22:21:40 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 5:08 PM, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-05-19 at 16:59 -0400, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>>
>> I have a question:
>>
>> Suppose there is an application that I want to package that contains
>> the Brazilian flag only and no other flags. Afaik, the Brazilian flag
>> is not illegal in any country in the world. Do I still have to make a
>> subpackage for this one flag?
>
> Yes you would.  The only way to be "neutral" is to treat all flags the
> same.  Any different treatment would amount to preferential treatment
> which is exactly what we're trying to avoid.

Wouldn't it be better if we apply this policy only to those packages
that contain "unsafe" flags? I mean, if the tarball contains an
"unsafe" flag, make a flags subpackage with all the flags. On the
other hand, if all the flags in the tarball are "safe" as in my above
example, I don't see the rationale for spending the time and the
effort of creating a subpackage.

Orcan