Agenda for the 2009-05-26 Packaging Committee meeting

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue May 26 21:34:10 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 09:29:31PM +0000, Matej Cepl wrote:
> Hans de Goede, Tue, 26 May 2009 13:15:23 +0200:
> > Can we please not remove the Group tag, it is actually quite usefull.
> > What we need to remove / loose is comps. Having all this info in a
> > centralized database is stupid. The spec files should tell which
> > group(s) the package belongs in. So that when one adds a new package,
> > this gets done right more or less automatically (and is part of the
> > review).
>
> Hear, hear!!! And add Suggests:/Recommends: (which is the other part of
> comps).
>
> +1000

+1001 ...

I've just been involved with submitting a package for febootstrap to
Debian [yay, build Fedora images on Debian!], and I'm reminded yet
again what a good idea 'Suggests/Recommends' are.  I can Suggest
packages like 'filelight' for measuring the effects of image
minimization, without making it a proper dependency and consequently
pulling in the whole of KDE.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/