Agenda for the 2009-05-26 Packaging Committee meeting

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Thu May 28 10:05:53 UTC 2009

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> There's no real difficulty here.  The depsolver ignores 'suggests' for
> resolving dependencies.  The UI needs to change to allow these to be
> selected, or in the case of command line tools like yum, to print them
> out at the end.  "You may also be interested in packages A, B and C".

There are a lot of interpretations about how exactly a suggestion
should work.

I'm wondering (just to make everything more complex), how to cope with
suggestions which depend on the presence of two or more
packages.
For example:

- webbrowser
- pdfviewer
- pdfviewerplugin4webbrowser : Requires webbrowser,pdfviewer

I install webbrowser. Should the plugin be suggested?
Reasonably, no.

Then, I install pdfviewer. Should the plugin be suggested?
Reasonably, yes.

How do you handle this?
Maybe a sort of "Enhances:" tag.
- pdfviewerplugin4webbrowser : Requires webbrowser,pdfviewer, Enhances webbrowser

This means, if you have the webbrowser, the plugin could be useful, but
it requires something else (pdfviewer), so you (user or rpm/yum) have to decide,
but, at least, you have all the necessary info.

Having a "yum list suggestions" would be great for all this kind
of "x4y-plugin" things, but it is certainly quite complicated
to agree on the implementation (and then default policies).

Just my two (euro)cents.

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it