Plans for tomorrow's (20090529) FESCo meeting

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri May 29 18:06:14 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 10:32:25 -0700,
  Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> NVIDIA and ATI are the major use case for MDV (and, frankly, for RPM
> Fusion), so I came around to the view that it isn't really a good idea
> to have kmods or DKMS in Fedora; the major use case for them doesn't
> apply to Fedora and never will, and the other objections are pretty
> valid for all the other cases for which DKMS / kmods can be used (either
> this stuff should go straight into the kernel or we should not ship it).
> And the pain involved in keeping the pre-built binaries in sync with the
> kernel is significant.

If you use telephony hardware you also have this problem as Digium doesn't
want to upstream Dahdi / Zaptel so they can sell custom versions of
the kernel drivers under different licenses. And no one else seems to have
enough interest to fork the project and get it upstreamed. I suspect Sangoma
has similar issues, but I don't own any of their stuff.