Font rendering slightly degraded in recent rawhide

Rajeesh K Nambiar rajeeshknambiar at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 21:26:24 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 10:18 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-11-02 at 14:00 +0100, Roberto Ragusa wrote:
>> Adam Williamson wrote:
>>
>> > And why the hell are you still using Luxi Mono, anyway? that thing went
>> > out with the ark...
>>
>> I'm not the person you are posing your question to, but I use Luxi Mono
>> and can give you an answer:
>> "Because it is a wonderful serif mono font. Can you suggest me an
>> alternative? It looks like mono => sans nowadays."
>
> I'm a big member of the 'fonts are subjective' bandwagon, but I'm
> _really_ surprised that anyone would consider the Luxi fonts to look
> better than the DejaVu ones. DejaVu is just a far more polished font
> set, which is why it was chosen by all major distros to replace Luxi
> years ago. You're literally the first person I've come across who seems
> to prefer the appearance of Luxi. Nothing wrong with that, I suppose,
> I'm just surprised =)

Here's another one, if you like to :-)
I've been a big fan of Luxi fonts from the days of RedHat 8.0. They
make my day when I look at the terminal or glance through a code
snippet. I did even contact Mr. Chuck Bigelow to find out any
possibility of licensing Luxi fonts under an open source license, when
Fedora decided to drop them. Today I use a locally built RPM (source
files grabbed from Xorg website) with a custom fontconfig file.

I must say, it's all a matter of preference :-)

> --
> Adam Williamson
> Fedora QA Community Monkey
> IRC: adamw | Fedora Talk: adamwill AT fedoraproject DOT org
> http://www.happyassassin.net
>
> --

Cheers,
Rajeesh