Fedora 12 vs. Ubuntu 9.10 Benchmarks ?!?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Nov 6 05:27:10 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 14:24 +0000, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> http://is.gd/4NU9N
>
> Phoronix published Fedora 12 vs. Ubuntu 9.10 Benchmarks
>
> They claim they took Fedora 12 candidate release, but AFAIK there is no
> Fedora 12 RC, right?
>
> If they used Fedora 12 Beta are these number comparable with real Fedora
> 12 performance numbers when Fedora 12 ships? Aren't there some debugging
> features turned on in Rawhide (Fedora 12 beta) kernel? Are other packages
> in Fedora 12 also suffering from some speed penalty?
>
> Still Fedora 12 Beta ate Ubuntu for breakfast :)
>
> Fedora 12 performed on most test better than Ubuntu, nice work guys/
> galls :)

There's no way to know what they tested. It was not an RC, we did not
have an RC until about 10 minutes ago. Yesterday's full compose was a TC
(test compose).

What they tested was one of the nightlies from
http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/nightly-composes/ , but we can't
tell which because they didn't give a date.

The NVIDIA driver benchmark is just weird, but not something we'd care
much about anyway. All the others look within the range of meaning very
little, to me.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey