Fedora 12 has gone gold

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Nov 10 04:39:23 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 09:55:03 +0530,
  Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Hopefully Nouveau gets 3D support within a couple of releases as well.
> Getting rid of the biggest pain of proprietary drivers would be one
> giant step forward for Linux on the desktop.

Yeah. While I wouldn't go out and buy nvidia cards I have a couple in systems
I got as scrap and it would be nice to have 3d on them. I don't trust the
nvidia stuff not to screw things up for helping test the nouveau drivers,
so I have been stuck with only 2d support for a good chunk of F12's
development.

The nouveau guys have made a surprising amount of progress and I think there
is a good chance they will have good 3d support 2 or 3 releases down the road.
(Though I would like to see Red Hat help out more to cut this to 1 or 2
releases, since I think the current situation hurts Fedora.) I'd also
like to see people move away from Cg and use the free and more portable
equivalents.