Identifying remaining core font users

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Nov 11 14:32:26 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 02:53:00PM +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> If depending on this level of libraries is out of the question for you
> I'd advise ripping the text parts from those modules. Text is much more
> complex than just drawing a simple form like a triangle, it is getting
> more complex every year (as new font format specs and encoding standards
> revisions are released, and support is added to more minority languages
> with strange requirements). I don't think you'll find maintaining text
> support sustainable without depending on common text libs.
> QT/GTK/Mozilla/OO.o tried, and concluded convergence was the only path.
>
> But feel free to ask Behdad directly, I'm sure anything he tells you
> will prove valuable.

I emailed him.

It has to be said that maybe text in the OCaml Graphics module only
works right now for people using "fixed" in a ISO-8859-1 locale or
whatever [in reality, it works for a whole lot more than that], but
ripping out text support means it won't work for anyone at all.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v