Are conflicts in debuginfo packages OK?

Jan Kratochvil jan.kratochvil at redhat.com
Wed Nov 11 18:06:29 UTC 2009

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 04:14:49 +0100, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> (It could be handled by suffixing the arch in the source-tree-name part.)
> Considering that the same files are also linked into multilib-safe
> collision-free /usr/lib/debug/.build-id files, where debuggers already
> know to look for them, the .../usr/bin* ones could be deprecated.

/usr/lib/debug/path/name.debug were kept only as backward compatibility
symlinks possibly wrong for multi-arch/multi-version installed packages.

Implemented as a postinstall script but it would be more right to resolve it
by rpm coloring as is being done for the real /bin/* multilib files.

> I hope it is obvious that it would be appropriate to be able to debug
> anything installed from the normal repositories.  That the status quo
> is not quite up to the job (in the case of some multilib libraries) is
> a bug.

I sometimes hit it having to uninstall a x86_64 debuginfo and temporarily
replace it by its i686 variant.

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 22:15:47 +0100, Björn Persson wrote:
> Generated files can be placed in separate subdirectories, for example
> /usr/src/debug/<source tree name>/%{_arch}.

My patch uses there:
/usr/src/debug/name-version-release.arch

It was here, unaware how it is still applicable now:
	http://people.redhat.com/jkratoch/multidebug/

But Roland McGrath had some more general debuginfos plans but I think that
temporary hack of mine could be worth the two years of Fedoras.  Roland, does
it make sense to revive + improve this patch?

Thanks,
Jan