A silly question about our "FC" tag

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 16 22:58:24 UTC 2009

On 11/17/2009 04:27 AM, Henrique Junior wrote:
> Hello, *
>
> I have a question that may sound a little stupid, but that came as I
> write a short article about some Fedora's curiosities.
>
> Why are our packages still using the tag "f*c*X", "f*c*Y", "f*c*W" since
> Fedora does not use “*Core*” in his name anymore?
>
> I know it's an almost irrelevant question, but the article is just about
> small curiosities and I could not think in a better place to ask.

When Fedora 7 was about to be released, there was a long and serious
discussion about how to rename it but we took the easy way out and
decided to call it "Fedora Package Collection" along the lines of GCC
being called "GNU Compiler Collection".  Dropping the "C" would have
broken the upgrade path for RPM.

Rahul