RFC: Btrfs snapshots feature for F13

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at pobox.com
Tue Nov 17 07:48:50 UTC 2009

On 11/17/2009 02:43 AM, nodata wrote:
> Am 2009-11-17 01:55, schrieb Chris Ball:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've written up a draft of an F13 filesystem rollback feature using
>> Btrfs snapshots that are automatically created by yum:
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SystemRollbackWithBtrfs
>>
>> It'd be great to get feedback on whether this is the right idea, and
>> how exactly the UI interaction should work, before submitting this
>> formally.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> - Chris.
>
> So this will confuse things a lot if the user doesn't have only rpm
> stuff on one partition, and everything else on another. This is
> potentially a major risk. How would that be handled?

Mr. nodata,

As the URL notes under "Detailed Description," that is not handled at
all.  It wraps all file I/O, yum or not, into the snapshot.

A bloody awful solution, especially when you consider that btrfs'
maintainer Chris Mason is adding support for real userland transactions
(via some additional ioctls).

	Jeff